Saturday, August 20, 2011

Holes cut in bodywork





I've found an old (Ford Sierra?) fan that's much thinner than the VW one, at 9cm thick. After attaching it to the radiator, it *just* fits under the bonnet, with around 1cm clearance at the top left and right edges, close but good enough for me!

By test fitting the lights I've drilled just about every hole I can think of in the body before the car goes off to be sprayed - two weeks today!

I don't have much spare time at all between now and then, so sorry if the updates slow down.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fuel tank plumbed in

I've totally plumbed in the fuel line. It was running from a small can in the engine bay, now there's petrol in the tank and its all working!

As its a bit boring to photo some rubber fuel pipes I've added a photo of the car, (taken in better light than yesterday.)

Monday, August 15, 2011

Instruments fitted






I've fitted the instruments into the dash, and because they came out of the Herald, they have just the correct period look I am going for. I've been able to test most of the functions of the dials, (including the speedo!) and so far everything worked fine. This is the advantage in using as much stuff as possibly from the Herald, if it worked on that, it must work on the Spyder.

The Golf radiator did need its huge fan and motor removing, so I've ordered a slim line replacement. There is *just* enough room under the bonnet for the radiator, I've only got around 2cm clearance at the top!

I also had time to open up the grill aperture and cut holes for the headlights to sit in.

Do forgive the blurry pics, they were taken at dusk - damn evenings starting to draw in......

Friday, August 12, 2011

New Radiator

I've bought myself a new radiator to replace the worn out Triumph one.

Its from a MK2 Golf, and has almost the same dimensions as the original one. The only downside is that the motor for the fan sticks out rearwards a long way, so I might have to invest in a slim line fan to allow me to fit the radiator in a near vertical upright position.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Radiator woes



I removed the lower front cross member (its not structural, only the horn located into it,) which has allowed the radiator to sit nice and low on the chassis, and the bonnet clears the top of the it with a nice gap. The only problem is that I've found a hole in it - so its off to find another similarly sized radiator, as there are no good condition Herald radiators available cheaply ANYWHERE! Frustrating.......

I've also covered the tunnel in ply and trimmed the dash.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Dash panel fitted

This evening I've bonded the dash panel into the car. It still needs trimming slightly, but at least its now in the car!

Monday, August 8, 2011

Starting to ply out the interior


I've started to fit the ply interior panels, using bonding paste to fix them in. The best way of wedging the panels in place while the paste dried was to use some wheels - very effective!

I also started to prepare the dash panel, lots more work to do, but it's starting to take shape.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

General picture overview

Having fitted the bonnet, now seemed like a good time to take a photo of the whole car, and WOW, its looking good now!

I feel as if I've passed another milestone in the build and am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel at last!

My progress has been amazing, I only collected the kit five weeks ago yesterday!

Bonnet fitted




The bonnet hoop is now attached onto the car. Attaching it was a simple job. I measured everything out numerous times so that it sits level and in the correct position, and the end result is very sturdy indeed. A pleasing job to get completed.

Lowered Floor exposed


I've cut through the top layer of plywood (needed for the body to bond onto, and the frame to attach through) and have now exposed the bottom, lowered floor. The edges need to be neatened up, but I'm going to wait till my seats are fitted and I know exactly how much to remove.
As I'm very tall (6FT4) this should allow me to sit a couple of inches lower and not tower out of top of the car!

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Cutting ply interior panels


Slightly limited for time today, I only managed to start cutting the ply interior panels, I hope to make some really good progress tomorrow though.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Nose Hoop bonded in



This evening I removed the radiator and some of its metal surround (it needs to be lowered in the bonnet area to fit the nose)

I've cut a rough hole in the nose so that I can see inside to position the steel hoop and to get everything lined up more easily.

Once I was happy with the positioning, I've bonded the hoop into the nose using Gravicol bonding paste. I may have ended up using a bit too much, but I figure its best to be on the safe side!

DVLA inspection



I no longer own a Triumph Herald, I now own a Sammio Spyder!

I had my car inspected by the DVLA in Poole, and luckily the weather was sunny and very hot. A great day - feels like a milestone passed.

The other three pictures were taken back at the garage after the inspection, to give an idea of how the body is sitting now.